The island is divided into 4 regions: Chania, Rethymnon, Heraklion, and Lassithi. Crete has two big airports: “Nikos Kazantzakis” at Heraklion (centrally located) and the “Daskalogiannis” airport at Chania (West Crete), both of which serve international routes for numerous airlines. Crete is a place with its own tradition, its own character and its own dialect.
Local people are very proud of their Cretan origin. Throughout the island, the remnants of occupation by invaders (from the Romans to the Turks) are still visible. But throughout these invasions, the Cretan people have remained relatively untouched and maintain their justified pride, strongly present in their costumes and culture.
Crete combines many characteristics which attract tourists from the whole world:
- The mild climate (in October, still 25C degrees)
- Easy access to the airports of Heraklion and Chania, as well as a good road network
- History, as Crete is the cradle of the prehistorical Minoan Civilization
- Archaeological sites such as Knossos, Phaistos, Mallia, Gortys and others
- Mythology, as in Crete the great Zeus was born, the father of all Gods
- Healthy food, based on the local products and especially on the famous Cretan Olive Oil and local herbs
- Culture & tradition particularly visible in the villages of the island
- Byzantine monasteries such as the Kalyviani convent and the monastery of Gouverneto
- Alternative landscapes such as the Samaria Gorge or the Kournia Lake
- Warm & friendly people that will open their house in order to offer you some “raki” drink and invite you to dinner
- Crystal clear seas and breathtaking beaches such as Balos, Falassarna, Elafonissi, Vai, Elounda, and others
- Tourist infrastructure with excellent hotel resorts, apartments, houses, villas of all categories